[License-discuss] I've been asked to license my open source project CC0

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Nov 7 17:20:20 UTC 2017

On 07/11/17 17:09, Shahar Or wrote:

> Is there good reason for this request, at all? I mean, can they not
> otherwise depend on my software, if their software is CC0 licensed?
> When I conveyed my reluctance it was suggested that I dual-license.

Dual licensing is pointless, as CC0 is always more permissive, so there
is really no point in anyone using the alternative licence.

Please request the person making this request to indemnify you against
all actions for damages as a result of using the software, and ensure
they have the resources to back that indemnity.

The reason for not using CC0 is that open source licences generally
always include a waiver of warranty as part of the conditions of the
licence.