[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Thu Mar 16 19:08:35 UTC 2017

I agree that the Government can release it as open source, but as I understand it, not as Open Source.  The difference is whether or not the code will be accepted into various journals (Journal of Open Source Software is one).  It also affects whether or not various distributions will accept the work (would Debian?  I honestly don't know).

And I'm not after plain vanilla CC0 code to be called Open Source, I'm after the method I outlined earlier.  This side-steps the need to have CC0 put forth by the license steward (I hope!).  I know that is splitting hairs, but at this point I'm tearing my hair out over this, and would like to put it to rest before I have to buy a wig.

Thanks,
Cem Karan