[License-discuss] patent rights and the OSD

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 21:45:08 UTC 2017

My legal rights to software on the computer in front of me may be
restricted by many things.  A short and incomplete list includes copyright
law, patents, contracts, who owns the computer and my employment status.
Any and all of these can impact whether I actually enjoy the freedoms that
the OSD describes.  I may be unaware of or misinformed about any or all
these potential encumbrances.

When we talk about whether a software license is OSD compliant, we are only
addressing the question of whether this license restricts software under
copyright law in a way that violates the OSD.  In principle it is generally
impossible to decide whether I *actually* have the rights described by the
OSD to the software in front of me.

(I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.)