[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Wed Mar 1 17:09:35 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 04:39:01PM +0000, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) wrote:
> I see your points about the Apache license vs. CC0, but the reason CC0 is more
> palatable is because we're not trying to make any restrictions based on
> copyright.  We're trying to meet the spirit of US law, and our lawyers believe
> that CC0 has the best chance of doing that.
>
> As to your second point, that is PRECISELY what I'm proposing.  The material
> that has copyright attached will be accepted under the OSI-approved license
> that the project controllers wish to use, and all other material will be
> distributed under CC0.  This way the US Government is not claiming copyright
> where none exists.

So your proposal is: US government releases simultaneously under CC0
(for the US case) and some designated open source license (for the
non-US case)?

I like the code.mil approach better. (This doesn't have much to do
with the fact that CC0 is not OSI-approved - I would have a similar
reaction to, say, use of the Free Public License (aka Zero Clause
BSD).)

BTW, CC0 does not have a limitation of liability provision as far as I
can tell (not counting the prefatory one that applies only to Creative
Commons Corp.).