[License-discuss] Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Mar 1 16:50:13 UTC 2017

Richard Fontana wrote:

> I think the code.mil approach is much more elegant without introducing the use of CC0.

Richard, I'm not as concerned with elegance as you are. Most FOSS licenses aren't elegant. Whatever code.mil is recommending has nothing to do with the elegance of its approach.

The question remains from many years of discussion here: What is wrong with CC0 being approved by OSI as a license for components in other open source software? Including for U.S. government works that may (or may not) be public domain?

The absence of an explicit patent provision applies equally to the BSD and MIT licenses. By also licensing U.S. government works under (e.g.) the Apache license, that problem is resolved, but not elegantly.

/Larry