[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Mar 1 15:45:06 UTC 2017

Two reasons.  First is for the disclaimer of liability and warranty.  We can
write our own notice, but that would be much less recognizable than CC0, which
is why we'd prefer to use it.

Second, it solves the question of copyright in foreign jurisdictions; as far
as is possible, the work is in the public domain everywhere, which means that
someone in (for example) Canada can treat it the same way as someone in the US
would.   If you're wondering how this could be a problem, the issue is that
copyright is a grant by the State at the time of creation, but each State has
different rules about this.  As an example, works that I create as a civil
servant do not have copyright within the US, but may have copyright
protections in Canada unless specifically disclaimed.  This could lead to
questions about whether or not the code could be merged into a project if the
project is being used world-wide, because the license for the US Government
furnished code is unclear.  CC0 settles the question as far as possible across
all jurisdictions, and as long as all external contributions are under the
chosen OSI-approved license, all material in a project will be covered by one
or the other, and decisions can be made by the courts in any jurisdiction on
the project as a whole.

Note that I am not a lawyer, and none of this should be construed as legal
advice.

Thanks,
Cem Karan