[License-discuss] step by step interpretation of common permissive licenses

Massimo Zaniboni massimo.zaniboni at asterisell.com
Wed Jan 18 16:02:40 UTC 2017

On 18/01/2017 16:26, John Cowan wrote:

> it is not only the *changes* but the
> *entire* derivative work of which you are the copyright owner.

Ok. The original copyright owner of A gave me the rights to use A, so I
used A for producing B (also a mere "copy"), and then I'm the copyright
owner of B because I'm the author of B. Then automatically by law (Berne
Convention) I have all the rights on B, and I can decide to license B
under my terms of choice.

I can use A in B, only if I respect the license of A. So in case of BSD
and ISC only if I cite the original authors, and the original license.
So very minimal requirements.

Put in these term it seems very simple.

> Of
> course you cannot prevent the making of other derivative works under
> license from the original author.

Ok obvious. A remains A. I owns only B.

Regards,
Massimo