[License-discuss] notes on a systematic approach to "popular" licenses

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Tue Jan 10 22:33:57 UTC 2017

Luis

Thanks for keeping this discussion alive. My comments:

As for popular licenses, I generally agree with your suggestions. I
would also argue that coming up with a list of de-facto most popular
licenses shouldn't be as bitterly controversial as you're prepared
for, and maybe the history of this discussion is.

The fact is, whatever method you choose, you should roughly expect to
see an exponentially decreasing curve. There would typically arise
some threshold, above which the most popular items are clearly ahead
of everyone else. (e.g. the 20/80 Pareto rule, etc)

Purely for the sake of this discussion, if we look at Black Duck's
list: https://www.blackducksoftware.com/top-open-source-licenses

...I can see 2-4 such thresholds:
Threshold 1: The 3rd license is 7% ahead of the 4th
Threshold 2: The 4th license is 3% ahead of the 5th
Threshold 3: The 8th license is 2% ahead of the 9th
Threshold 4: Anything at least 1% or higher

Of course, from the above set, people would still lobby for a
threshold including their favorite license or excluding one they
dislike. But it is nevertheless a limited set to argue about, that
arises naturally from the data.

Furthermore, your suggestion of also listing new licenses, should help
ease the pressure. For example, nobody could argue against that the
set above the tightest threshold - MIT, GPLv2 and Apache - are the
most popular licenses. They also happen to include exactly the 3 types
people most often look for: A short and permissive "BSD style"
license, a strong copyleft license, and a long permissive license,
including for example a clear patent license. So even if someone might
want to argue for a list that is longer than 3, this "emerging out of
the data" threshold already landed us in a very useful place.

Now, one could of course criticize this and say that a list of popular
licenses must include at least GPLv3 and BSD (or LGPL, or something
else). But GPLv3 could in this case be featured in the list of new
licenses, with the explanation that it is an update to GPLv2, but has
not yet overtaken it in popularity. BSD on the other hand - based on
this data - is perhaps not worthy of being on a most popular list? The
data clearly suggests that the MIT license is the most popular one
among this family, even if "BSD style" is the common name for the
category you hear most often.

In fact, adding the concept of license families might again help ease
some pressure from this discussion, and also be genuinely useful. So
for example, the entry for GPLv2 should list all other licenses in the
GPL family (both v2 and v3), and the entry for MIT could then link to
a list of other BSD-style licenses. I don't know if the Apache License
has such siblings at the moment?

A few points on the list for new licenses. I think your idea and
criteria are sound. Perhaps a nice addition to your proposal would be
to provide some context by digging through historical statistics: How
many new licenses have been approved in the last, say, 10 years, that
weren't legacy, redundant, special purpose, etc? Perhaps the number is
small enough that they could all be added to such a list?

I would add then an expiration date to this list, which could be for
example 10 years. The point of the expiration date of course would be
that a license on the "new list" should become a popular license
within that time, or if it doesn't, it will no longer be featured.
(There's a correlation between how low the threshold is for the
popular list and the expiration date for the new list.)

henrik