[License-discuss] Is the OBM License OSD compatible?

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jan 6 17:19:44 UTC 2017

On 06/01/17 17:09, Smith, McCoy wrote:
> GPLv3 (and the variants, LGPLv3 and AGPLv3) do *not* permit
> "Additional Terms" (despite the section header called "Additional
> Terms");  they permit "Additional Permissions" which are defined in
> the license, Sec 7, as "terms that supplement the terms of this
> License *by making exceptions from one or more of its conditions*."

The section 7, titled "Additional Terms", permits "Additional
Permissions" in the first two paragraphs, but also in the following
paras permits 6 categories of other sorts of additional terms which are
not necessarily entirely permissive. Section 7 b) through f) are clearly
not entirely permissive if you read them. So the section heading is
correct, and I believe your interpretation that everything envisaged by
that section must be an Additional Permission is wrong.

Gerv