[License-discuss] Using opensource in a company not in the software business

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Nov 29 16:51:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:27 AM, FREJAVILLE Etienne <
etienne.frejaville at coface.com> wrote:

Apparently, the fact that the customer uses the software from the outside
> of the company counts as a 'distribution'.

Yes and no.  The front-end software (whether JavaScript or a native app) is
distributed, and the open-source restrictions (if any) are in effect.  The
software you use in your back end is not distributed, even though it is
"used outside the company" by the front end, so there are no restrictions.
Software you use purely to develop your software (editors, compilers, etc.)
is not distributed either.

--
My .sigs are from my large and miscellaneous reading both on and off the
net.