[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Mon Jul 25 12:46:55 UTC 2016

I'm not a lawyer, I have no idea, and I'm NOT going to go there! :)

> Also, another question for Cem: what do you mean by "a protection
> mechanism"? If you are trying to release something under liberal
> open source terms like Apache, and it turns out that the USG doesn't hold
> copyright in the thing anyway, isn't that "job done"? What
> needs "protecting"? Things like misrepresentation are surely already illegal
> without you needing to say so in an agreed document.
>
> Gerv

There are several things we're trying to do.

1) Put out a notice to the world that the code covered under the license is
'AS-IS'; the whole 'no warranty' part in the Apache 2.0 license.  This needs
to cover not only the USG, but also any contributors.  The USG is (in my
opinion) well-funded and capable of defending itself.  Persons or entities
that are charitable enough to contribute to our projects may not be; I
personally would consider it to be poor form to leave them unprotected after
they've been kind enough to help with our projects.  Notifying anyone that
downloads the code that there is no warranty helps protect against liability.

2) Prevent misrepresentation.  Since USG works don't have copyright
protection, we're somewhat limited in how we can stop others from distributing
derivative works that are claimed to be the originals, especially if those
derivatives turn out to be malicious in some manner.  Trademark law is one way
we can stop such activity, and is one of the few proactive methods we can use,
where we don't have to prove a crime has occurred, but merely have to show
that our trademarks are being misused.

3) Preventing trolling.  A personal concern I have is if someone maliciously
contributes material with the intent of suing anyone that downloads it for
patent or copyright infringement.  Once again, the USG is (in my opinion)
well-funded and quite capable of defending itself.  However, not everyone that
downloads projects we've sponsored or distributed are as capable.  Preventing
patent trolls/copyright trolls/other types of IP trolls from using our
projects as launching points for an attack protects not only the USG's
reputation, but also protects innocent users of our projects.  In short, in my
opinion, it is the right thing to do.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thanks,
Cem Karan