[License-discuss] Views on React licensing?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Dec 12 20:57:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote:

Competence wasn't the real issue. The legal and technical effort required
> by any large organization to avoid incompatible patent license grants can
> be huge. Instead they said simply: "Here is this copyrighted work. Use it.
> It is open source."

Then how does MIT know that it hasn't granted exclusive patent licenses to
the same patent to both Yoyodyne Inc. and Soylent Corp.?  If they have no
proper records, that would be a pretty pickle for all three.

And since a patent is specifically the right to prevent use by anyone else,
how can they say "Use it" when they mean "If you use it and Yoyodyne sues
you for infringement of our (original) patent, it's your problem"?

Kill Gorgun!  Kill orc-folk!  No other words please Wild Men.  Drive away
bad air and darkness with bright iron!   --Ghan-buri-Ghan