[License-discuss] Views on React licensing?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Dec 12 19:29:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Simon Phipps <simon at webmink.com> wrote:

Do you have a citation to support that please? A quick web search did not
> identify one, but obviously it's a big web out there.

I don't, but it was on one of the OSI mailing lists during the discussion
of the Brode license (which ended up not being approved).  The Brode
license provided that any pre-existing patent grant by MIT pre-empted
rights granted under the license, which a lot of us really didn't like --
what, is MIT so incompetent they haven't kept track of what patent licenses
they have issued? Apprarently so.   At that point several of us pointed out
that the much older MIT license already contained a universal patent grant;
the MIT folks said "We never meant it to."

We call nothing profound that is not wittily expressed.
        --Northrop Frye (improved)