[License-discuss] Views on React licensing?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Dec 7 01:32:03 UTC 2016

Ben Tilly wrote:
> Item 1 of the OSD says, "The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale."

Red Hat's trademark license fails this provision as badly as you could want.

No, it doesn't. Go ahead and aggregate Red Hat's open source software to your heart's content as OSD #1 permits.

Just don't call your aggregation "RHEL", although you are authorized to say this:

"The open source components of Red Hat Enterprise Linux are also in this TILLY software. Those open source components are available to you for free as described in our NOTICE file accompanying this TILLY version."

/Larry