[License-discuss] Views on React licensing?

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Tue Dec 6 21:00:44 UTC 2016

On 12/6/16, 3:33 PM, "henrik.ingo at gmail.com on behalf of Henrik Ingo"
<henrik.ingo at gmail.com on behalf of henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi> wrote:

>The question isn't about patents or copyrights. The point is that taking
>an OSI approved license and making additions to it by adding a separate
>file with additional terms and conditions, results in a combination which
>as a whole is not OSI approved open source license. It is no different
>from taking the BSD license and making additions to it within the same
>file.

In what way is the BSD copyright license impacted by an external patent
grant license?

How is this different than combining a BSD copyright license and an
external trademark license agreement?

IMHO it has everything to do with whether patents are in or out of scope
for OSI license approval for copyright licenses.

>I categorize patent grants with wide reaching termination clauses as
>commons-friendly. Like I said, my only regret is that there aren¹t
>licenses being used that would be even more wide reaching than this one.

That¹s fine as long as there are open source licenses with far more narrow
grants or no grants whatsoever like CC0.

CC0->ECL v2->Apache->React should all be fine from a OSI license approval
perspective.