[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Wed Aug 17 18:54:11 UTC 2016

Or to put a finer point on it, the other issues you identify appear to be ones that are explicitly addressed in many already-approved OSI licenses, including Apache 2.0, the one you are modeling your license upon.

I hope you're getting a sense that there are several lawyers on this mailing list -- lawyers who have years of experience looking at, debating, and giving advice on the issues you identify in this submission -- who think that your proposed license is a variant of Apache 2.0 designed to solve a "problem" for USG users with Apache 2.0 that we are skeptical even exists.  Perhaps the ARL lawyers can clarify what the problem is, and that we are missing something.  But I think at least I am having a hard time understanding how this license does anything that Apache 2.0 doesn't.