[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Tue Aug 16 20:03:18 UTC 2016

Here are the problems:

1) ARL doesn't know if it can use copyright-based licenses on public domain
software.  In particular, will the entire license be held invalid, including
the disclaimers, if the copyright portions are held to be invalid?

2) Liability is only one part of the puzzle; as I mentioned in an earlier
email, there are IP issues that need to be solved (e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambus#Lawsuits).  That makes CC0 unattractive.

If the entire license is held to be invalid, then contributors may have
standing to sue both the USG and anyone that uses USG code for patent
violations.  We're trying to have a license that will withstand legal
scrutiny, and protect not just the USG, but also all innocent contributors and
users of USG-sponsored projects.

As for 'license vs. contract', was that something discussed in relation to the
ARL OSL?

Thanks,
Cem Karan