[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Tue Aug 16 19:43:54 UTC 2016

OK, I see where you're coming from now.  I had to have the ARL Legal team
explain this to me as well, but the ARL OSL is actually a contract, and the
contract can apply even if there is no copyright.  We release material to our
collaborators on a regular basis under contract; we even do this with
software, even though it is in the public domain.  If they break the contract,
we can sue them, but we can't sue anyone that they delivered the software to
(it's in the public domain, so we don't have any copyright protections to sue
over).  The ARL OSL extends this as a chain; the USG releases the software to
anyone that wants to download it, but by downloading it, they agree to the
contract.  That person in turn can hand off the software to another person,
forming the chain.  However, if the chain is broken, the USG only has the
right to sue the first person that broke the chain; the others may be able to
claim that they got the software in good faith.  Since there is no copyright
involved, and since they didn't break the contract, they are innocent; only
the person that broke the chain originally is liable (note that I'm not a
lawyer, and may have gotten some of this wrong; it's just my understanding
from the ARL Legal team).  This means that to sue, the USG will need to prove
that the person was the first one in the chain to break the contract.

Copyright is something entirely different from contract law.  Copyright is a
bundle of rights that an author gets by creating a work.  The license allows a
user to use the work without getting sued/stopped/etc.  The trick is that
since copyright attaches to a work AND since you can't
copy/use/display/perform/etc. a work without permission from the copyright
holders, you have to be able to point to the license that allows you to use
the work without being sued.  That means that a copyright holder doesn't need
to follow a chain, it just needs to demonstrate that it has copyright on the
work, and that its license is being violated.

The closest analogy I can provide is that contract law is innocent until
proven guilty, while copyright is guilty until proven innocent.

> But I'm not sure what you're worried about, sue for what? These
> (a)-(d) obligations have nothing to do with suing users, do they? ARL OSL
> has all the other clauses, which apply fine regardless of whether
> the underlying Work is copyrighted or not, like disclaimers of liability and
> clause 5.

No, the problem is that removing those terms suggests that you can strip out
the ARL OSL from any part that is in the public domain.  Once that happens,
the material no longer has the ARL OSL protecting downstream users from
predatory and unscrupulous individuals.  That's all.

Thanks,
Cem Karan