[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Aug 16 16:25:53 UTC 2016

McCoy Smith wrote:
> I believe that to be an effective waiver of liability, despite the fact that there is not copyright rights being conveyed.  Does anyone believe that that waiver is ineffective?

Liability for commercial products (e.g., electronic devices and cars) cannot be entirely waived in many jurisdictions despite the warranty and liability language in the software license. And liability for intentional torts cannot be waived.
You can't throw banana peels at the front of the parade and expect to be forgiven for injuries.

Other than that, waiver of liability in CC0 is probably effective. That is what McCoy meant by "to the extent permissible by law."

I still don't understand what the U.S. Army Research Laboratory expects beyond that. Such limitation of liability language is already in every FOSS license even though it won't keep a really evil software guy (even an Army researcher) out of jail.

/Larry