[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Mon Aug 8 12:49:59 UTC 2016

You're right about the complexity; I'm not a lawyer, so I don't fully understand it, but the ARL lawyers I'm working with tell me that it can be enforced that way.  However, I suspect it would need to be litigated before any firm statements could be made.

As for why we're bothering, it's because USG works don't have copyright within the USA.  If they did, we'd just the use the Apache 2.0 license and not even try with the ARL OSL.  As it stands, we're not sure what would happen if we just went with the Apache 2.0 license for USG works that don't have copyright attached; would a smart lawyer argue that the entire license is invalid, and then start suing contributors right and left?  Or would it all hold together?  Our lawyers aren't sure, and don't want to risk either the USG, or any contributors or downstream users of our code.  The theory is that once the license is declared invalid for the USG, it would be invalid for all contributions as well, which could be very, very bad.  The USG is (in my opinion) well-funded and has a highly capable legal defense team, and so I believe it would likely weather any legal storm.  Our contributors and downstream users might not be as capable of defending themselves.  For their sake, as well as the USG, we need a license that is likely to stand up in court.

> Being "forced to stop via contract law" is and remains a complex litigation issue between a copyright owner and her licensee. Reference,
> just for fun, the Oracle vs. Google case.

I'm aware that it isn't easy.  However, having some tools is better than having no tools at all.

> in the case of US government works, the "fall back onto copyright law" is unenforceable, at least in the U.S. Why do you even care what
> happens to those works under the Berne Convention in other countries?

Personally, I don't.  However, the Berne Convention kept coming up in discussions, so I decided to look into it.  I'm going to keep digging into it, primarily to clarify that potential problem for everyone on the list.