[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Aug 3 17:42:35 UTC 2016

Yes, which is why I said 'may'.  It has to be litigated in each jurisdiction
to know for certain how it will go.

> > As far as I know, this hasn't been litigated anywhere, so it may not
> > apply.
>
> That wouldn't matter if there was an explicit or implicit statutory grant in
> the foreign country.  If only the Berne Convention holds, then
> the "We give you 0 years because you give yourself 0 years" argument kicks
> in.

I see what you're saying, and it's an interesting point of view.  Are there
any countries that are signatories to the Berne Convention that hold this
point of view?

> > Interesting link!  I wish it weren't behind a paywall, I'd like to
> > read more of it.
>
> Me too.  Ask a lawyer friend to send you a copy (and me, while you're at
> it).
> My father's preprint copy moldered away a long time ago.

What, and violate copyright, the very thing we're discussing right now? ;)

Thanks,
Cem Karan