[License-discuss] Companies that encourage license violations

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Sep 5 18:24:53 UTC 2015

Pamela Chestek scripsit:

> I think this statement is a fallacy, but I'm happy to hear other
> opinions. A license attaches to the intangible copyright, not to the
> tangible copy of the work you received. So as long as I can show that
> the same copyrighted work was available under a license, and that I am
> in compliance with the license, then I am a licensed user no matter
> where I got my copy of the work.

That can't be right.  Consider a work available under GPL+proprietary
terms, where you get to do non-GPL things if you have paid.  Then it would
not be enough to show that the work was available under a proprietary
license to allow you to download it and do those things.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
How they ever reached any conclusion at all is starkly unknowable
to the human mind.        --"Backstage Lensman", Randall Garrett