[License-discuss] Any Free License, an open source license

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Tue Nov 10 02:17:22 UTC 2015

Feeling reminiscent of the good old days, when the threads of identi.ca
flowed freely with obscure licensing periphery, I have decided to try
my hand at crafting where so many have dared to try (and fail) in
penning an Open Source license worthy of the OSI license list.

I decided to author the most open license of all time, for those who
just can't decide over license minutiae.  Here it is.  Simply copy this
into your programming headers and you are on the path to maximal
freedom.

  # <PROGRAM NAME> -- (C) <YEAR> <AUTHOR NAME>
  # Released under the "Any Free License 2015-11-05", whose terms
  # are the following:
  #   This code is released under any of the free software licenses listed on
  #     https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
  #   which for archival purposes is
  #     https://web.archive.org/web/20151105070140/http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

You may notice that this license has a convenient upgrade procedure.
I suggest rolling releases of the license over time, updating to the
latest link available from:

  https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

If the OSI is not comfortable trusting the FSF license list at a
particular date, one possible procedure in the rolling release system is
that periodically, the OSI can review the FSF list, and make new
releases based on verified and approved copies of the FSF license list.

I would like to submit this license for consideration and inclusion on
the OSI license review list, but am seeking feedback first.  At current
writing, approximately zero users include this text in their
headers--however, at best estimation, this license has thousands if not
tens or hundreds of thousands of users, and I believe that its mechanism
provides novel benefits, and formalizing it as an acceptable choice for
those who wish to promulgate Open Source principles will improve the
currently unclear situation.  Where others promise some freedoms, Any
Free License delivers all possible freedoms, to the maximum extent
permitted by law or currently recognized free licensing procedures.

Any and all commentary to be derived from this email is left as an
exercise to the reader.  But I assure you, this is Not A Troll.

 - Christopher Allan Webber