[License-discuss] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:47:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 05:37:48PM +0000, jonathon wrote:
> That is why I wrote:  « During coding, source code licenses are verified
> to be what was expected, and what was advertised.»
>
> By way of example, if I'm planning a project that requires Big Data
> Analysis, and needs to scale up from petabytes of data, currently, I can
> safely assume that Apache Hadoop uses a standard Apache License.
> If this proposal takes place, I'll have to look at the license and
> notice for every file in Hadoop, during the project planning stage, as
> well as during the coding.
> For a project planner, the difference is spending 30 minutes playing
> with something from The Apache Foundation, to see if it "works" and
> spending hours, ^1 verifying that the licenses are what they purport to
> be, before spending any time playing with the software, determining
> suitability for the project.  And then during the coding process,
> somebody will have to spend time verifying that the licenses are what
> they were purported to be, and checked out as being, during the project
> planning stage.
>
> ^1: I am aware of software that reads License and Notice files, to
> determine that they conform with known, accepted, licenses.  However,
> that software can overlook bizarre clauses.

[replying with my @gmail, just to be clear I'm not speaking for anyone
 besides myself]

Not for nothing, but this is starting to feel more like an ASF thread.

This feels like a political issue the ASF should address on their own;
this thread (purely) being on license-discuss strikes me as odd, could
we move this to the relevant Apache list(s)?

This isn't really a license issue at all (since combining works, even
when not mere aggregation) from Apache2 and LGPL3+/GPL3+ is totally
fine, just results in the combined work distributed under the terms of
the LGPL/GPL.

So, this is really a question for ASF if they wish to allow this on a
policy and political level (for either combined work(s) or mere
aggregations - or both!)

Much love,
  Paul

--