[License-discuss] Disclosure of patents by Apache projects

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon May 25 16:16:58 UTC 2015

John Cowan wrote:
> However, if Citrix *had no actual knowledge* of the '011 patent,
> I think it would have been much more difficult for SSL to establish
> the other subprong of the subjective prong, that the infringement
> was so obvious that Citrix should have known about it.

On the other hand, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willful_blindness:

"Willful blindness (sometimes called ignorance of law, willful ignorance or
contrived ignorance or Nelsonian knowledge) is a term used in law to
describe a situation in which a person seeks to avoid civil or criminal
liability for a wrongful act by intentionally putting him or herself in a
position where he or she will be unaware of facts that would render him or
her liable.

"For example, in a number of cases, persons transporting packages containing
illegal drugs have asserted that they never asked what the contents of the
packages were and so lacked the requisite intent to break the law.

"Such defenses have not succeeded, as courts have been quick to determine
that the defendant should have known what was in the package and exercised
criminal recklessness by failing to find out.

"A famous example of such a defense being denied occurred in In re Aimster
Copyright Litigation, 334 F.3d 643 (7th Cir. 2003), in which the defendants
argued that the file-swapping technology was designed in such a way that
they had no way of monitoring the content of swapped files. They suggested
that their inability to monitor the activities of users meant that they
could not be contributing to copyright infringement by the users. The court
held that this was willful blindness on the defendant's part and would not
constitute a defense to a claim of contributory infringement."