[License-discuss] [FTF-Legal] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Mike Milinkovich mike.milinkovich at eclipse.org
Wed May 20 21:40:31 UTC 2015

On 20/05/2015 4:40 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Apache Legal JIRA-218 asked:

This was at addressed in the now apparently defunct ASF document
entitled "Drafted (and out of date) Third-Party Licensing Policy" that
Cliff Schmidt wrote years ago. You can still find the text of the
document at [1]. Unfortunately the version that is linked from the
Apache Legal page[2] has somehow been mangled. As far as I know, that
document was used for quite a few years as the main guidance for Apache
projects on these topics. I am not quite sure why it was deprecated
without a replacement. The fact that a reference to the EPL wasn't
migrated to [3] just seems kinda weird.

In that document, the EPL was included in the list of "Category B:
Reciprocal Licenses". As I understand it, the guidance to ASF projects
was the EPL-licensed binaries could be distributed by Apache projects,
but that the source should be only available by reference. It is my
understanding that Apache projects do distribute EPL-licensed modules,
such as the Eclipse Compiler for Java (ecj).

One thing that seems sort of weird is that the release notes[4] for
Apache Tomcat 7 contains a notice(*) regarding the use of ecj under the
EPL. But the release notes[5] for Tomcat v8.0 does not contain the
notice, even though the "ecj-4.4.2.jar (Eclipse JDT Java compiler)" is
listed as a bundled dependency.

Hope that helps.

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/archive/legal/3party.mdtext
[2] http://apache.org/legal/
[3] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html
[4] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
[5] https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

(*) In addition, Tomcat 7.0 uses the Eclipse JDT Java compiler for
compiling JSP pages.  This means you no longer need to have the complete
Java Development Kit (JDK) to run Tomcat, but a Java Runtime Environment
(JRE) is sufficient.  The Eclipse JDT Java compiler is bundled with the
binary Tomcat distributions.  Tomcat can also be configured to use the
compiler from the JDK to compile JSPs, or any other Java compiler supported
by Apache Ant.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich at eclipse.org