[License-discuss] Shortest copyleft licence

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 23:53:59 UTC 2015

What does copyleft mean?

The purpose of a copyleft provision in my mind is to make it so that
changes get contributed back.  While it is clear that the Sleepycat
license attempts to do so, it does not stop source being available for
a nominal fee under an additional copyright license chosen by the
contributor.  If that license happens to be the GPL, well OK.  But
Sleepycat can't use that code without changing their license.  If that
license happens to be something preventing further modification and
redistribution, then you've lost the whole point of copyleft.

Nailing down copyleft and making it actually work is surprisingly
tricky.  That is one reason why careful copyleft licenses are so
verbose.