[License-discuss] Software, licenses, and patents

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:49:08 UTC 2015

I think I can unconfuse you. :-)

The developer knows of an applicable patent, but believes the
following set of statements to be true.

1. The new software does not infringe.

2. The patent holder might believe otherwise.

3. Said patent may have been granted on the basis of work the
developer did many years ago.

4. The algorithms used have at least 3 decades of prior art behind
them.  Just not decades of prior art in software.

My further impression is that there is considerable history between
the developer and the patent holder.  Likely there is some bad blood.
The developer is unhappy that the patent exists, and thinks it
shouldn't.

If my impression is correct, the developer is an interested party in
an ongoing conflict.  Therefore the developer's opinion on
infringement is biased and is therefore not to be trusted.  I
therefore suggest that the developer should discuss the situation with
a neutral lawyer, and follow that lawyer's advice.

(None of us like being accused of incorrectly evaluating the
situation.  But having recently been through a divorce, I'm painfully
aware of how my judgement of certain situations was different during
the conflict than it is now...)