[License-discuss] Reverse Engineering and Open Source Licenses

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Mar 11 00:03:54 UTC 2015

On 10/03/15 23:53, John Cowan wrote:
>> You didn't buy the software.  You bought a piece of hardware with a
>> >single copy.
> By that definition, I don't buy books either, but that turns out not to
> be the case.

You can buy a book (i.e. hardware consisting of paper and ink), but you
can't buy the novel that it contains (the author will not assign
copyright to you).

Incidenally, UK publishers do, or at least did, put constraints on the
resale of books (not to be sold or lent in any cover other than the
original).