[License-discuss] Reverse Engineering and Open Source Licenses

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 03:39:18 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-06 07:14 PM, thufir wrote:
> i assume also, thufir, that you have read, understood, and agree that
> if 77 highly intelligent and prominent computer scientists - many of
> them having NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GPL - go to the extraordinary
> lengths of submitting an amicus brief against the copyrighting of
> APIs,

If you'd like to delve into the specifics of that amicus brief, I'd be
glad to, and would point you to alternate briefs disagreeing
fundamentally on, in particular, the implications of a decision in favor
of Oracle, in respect on the copyrightability of API's.  While it's seen
as doom and gloom, I'd say "not so," and, if you like, will quote
someone else on that.  But it's moot, the FSF has already filed its briefs.

It's not a poll; or, rather, it's only a poll of the SCOTUS.  That being
said, of course I take your point that, I'm sure, quite a few prominent
computer scientists disagree.  They can still be wrong, can't they?

-Thufir