[License-discuss] Is what's made with Open Source, Open Source?

Richard Eckart de Castilho richard.eckart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:02:26 UTC 2015

First: I am not a lawyer just an interested bystander with an opinion and a problem to keep his mouth shut.

So Rapid applications are basically complex configuration files.

Let's say you create a specification for this type configuration files and Rapid is the reference implementation.

Let's say somebody creates a new implementation of that specification, the Rapid applications run on the new implementation without modification, and the new implementation is completely free of GPL (that is the Rapid applications have no direct dependency on GPLed code)...

... then I would fathom that applications created with Rapid would not be touched by the reciprocal clauses in the GPL very much in the same way that documents created with a word processor would not be touched by it.

My 0.5 cents.

Btw. I think that restricting what you can so with the output of a build tools such as Rapid may well restrict its adoption - in case you care about that.

Cheers,

-- Richard