[License-discuss] FAQ entry on CLAs

Engel Nyst engel.nyst at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:48:54 UTC 2015

On 01/20/2015 12:50 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> I wrote up an example of an open source license that has different
> legal effects when used inbound and outbound, but I've deleted it to
>  avoid taking this thread down a rabbit hole.

Please do, though. It's worse to practically state that using an OSI
approved license(s) doesn't seem to give the permissions necessary,
within the bounds of the license, for anyone to combine one's project
from different sources and distribute it.

> The key point is that inbound=outbound is a contribution policy, a
> specific use of an open source license within a particular context.
> OSI reviews the text of licenses, it doesn't review contribution
> policies.

The issue here is simply that inbound=outbound must hold, because it's
not a "random" contribution policy. OSD compliance is why it holds.

--
"Public works must serve a community. Open source licensing ensures the
Tools are accessible to the world. We have not found any authority for