[License-discuss] 3-clause BSD and reverse engineering

Zluty Sysel zluty.sysel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 12:44:41 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I was wondering if adding a clause to prevent reverse engineering to the
standard 3-clause BSD license would violate any of the open source
definition tenets.

The additional clause would read something like this:

"Reverse engineering, decompilation, and/or disassembly of software
provided in binary form under this license is prohibited."

I can't really see anything in the Open Source Definition that would forbid
the inclusion of such a clause, but I wanted to check with people with more
experience in the matter than myself.

Thank you in advance.

Zluty