[License-discuss] Fwd: Query whether BSD Licence liability disclaimer is "viral".

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Feb 15 01:11:33 UTC 2015

David Woolley scripsit:

> My understanding is that only if those warranties are given in the
> name of <organisation>.  The proprietary developer can give
> warranties, in their own name, and I think Microsoft does.

I agree and would go further: there is no such thing as a third-party
disclaimer of warranty.  Alice may disclaim all warranties on
something she gives Bob, but Charlie's warranties aren't affected
by this disclaimer.

IANAL; TINLA; this is not UPOL.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Mark Twain on Cecil Rhodes: I admire him, I freely admit it,
and when his time comes I shall buy a piece of the rope for a keepsake.