[License-discuss] 3-clause BSD with additional clause forbidding key disclosure

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Feb 6 18:52:15 UTC 2015

> Could you however elaborate on why the additional restriction

> would not be OSD-compliant?

Why are you trying to "open source" your additional clause forbidding key
disclosure? It is hard for me to recognize such private and confidential
commercial transactions as open source.

Already some distributors commercially license their own software
applications along with private usage keys. That combination of software+key
is not itself open source software, regardless of whether source code is
made available to the software itself. But it is perfectly typical and
allowed as a commercial transaction.

NEVERTHELESS, the *open source components* in those commercial software
applications remain open source regardless of the overall commercial license
or the private usage keys. It is appropriate (actually *required*) that
commercial distributors provide the names, licenses, and (usually) the
source code of those open source components even if the private usage keys
are unpublished. I believe that a separate commercial license forbidding key
disclosure is a separate commercial transaction that has no effect on the
*open source components*. Those remain free regardless of the usage
restrictions on the commercial amalgamation. See OSD #7:

7. Distribution of License

The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program is
redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by
those parties.

BSD by itself does that. Your addition does not.

/Larry