[License-discuss] Orphan Works: Summary of proposed 17 USC 514

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Dec 7 20:44:06 UTC 2015

Henrik Ingo wrote:

> But you're right that they also stand to gain from co-opting orphaned works and then including them into new, copyrighted productions.

The term "co-opting" is out of place. Here is the constitutional view:

As the Supreme Court reaffirmed in 2012, facilitating the dissemination of creative expression is an important means of fulfilling the constitutional mandate to "promote the Progress of Science" through the copyright system. This Report addresses two circumstances in which the accomplishment of that goal may be hindered under the current law due to practical obstacles preventing good faith actors from securing permission to make productive uses of copyrighted works. First, with respect to orphan works, referred to as "perhaps the single greatest impediment to creating new works," a user's ability to seek permission or to negotiate licensing terms is compromised by the fact that, despite his or her diligent efforts, the user cannot identify or locate the copyright owner. Second, in the case of mass digitization – which involves making reproductions of many works, as well as possible efforts to make the works publicly accessible – obtaining permission is essentially impossible, not necessarily because of a lack of identifying information or the inability to contact the copyright owner, but because of the sheer number of individual permissions required.

Orphan Works and Mass Digitization <http://copyright.gov/orphan/reports/orphan-works2015.pdf> , Executive Summary, page 1, first paragraph.

/Larry