[License-discuss] Companies that encourage license violations

Kevin Fleming kevin+osi at kpfleming.us
Mon Aug 31 21:42:14 UTC 2015

Right, this is potentially a 'dual-license' scenario, where the copyright
holders distribute the code under two (or more) distinct licenses, in
separate distributions. If you receive the code under a non-open-source
license, the presence of the same (or similar) code in another location
under an open source license isn't necessarily relevant; you got the code
with an attached license, so its terms apply to you. If you obtain the code
via other means, with an attached open source license, then that license's
terms apply to you.

This definitely sounds like an unnecessarily complicated situation, but in
the end, you can only use the code under the license terms that were
attached when you received it. If no license was attached, then you
probably don't have any rights to use it at all.