[License-discuss] Strong copyleft for art

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Fri Apr 10 17:52:54 UTC 2015

Hey all,

I've been thinking recently about the issue that Creative Commons does not
specify a copyleft license which would require the distribution of "source
form" for art that has a source form seperate from its distribution form.
Examples could be: images/videos rendered from blender models, PDFs rendered
from LaTeX, music in audio files that was originally created in a sequencer,
etc.

CC-BY-SA does not really require that derivatives that then get "compiled"
must provide anything like a source offer along with their distribution.

I'm wondering if GPLv3 or other strong copyleft licenses in existance would
have the desired effect when appiled to art?  I know the GPL was very
specifically written for software, but with very similar goals.

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted