[License-discuss] Strong and weak copyleft

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Apr 10 16:20:57 UTC 2015

Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I would even question whether Apache and CCO are really "copyleft" in any
way... :)

If we're going to invent a distinction between strong and weak, let's make
it a thorough one. :-)

As for Apache, it includes conditions regarding patent defense and notices
that are tied directly to the copyright grant. That's "VERY WEAK" but more
than CC0.

As for CC0, I can't think of a better example of "ULTRA-WEAK" given that
we're obviously making up the terms as we go. I was initially going to
reference CC-BY, but given Apache's reluctance to allow that license I
wasn't sure which one was "VERY" and which was "ULTRA". Or why, if the CC-BY
license has nothing to do with copyleft, Apache doesn't like it. Silliness!

We're inventing these distinctions merely to prevent all these various FOSS
works from being combined into aggregates without copyleft worry. This is a
waste of great software opportunity.

/Larry