[License-discuss] [Osi] [General enquiries] OS license for seeds (!)

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Oct 20 18:43:10 UTC 2014

> I am in the seed movement & you may have heard there are initiatives to
adapt an open source format for seeds to make them available to the public.

AFAIK, most of what seeds do was patented long ago in the Bible and can no
longer be restricted. Even the copyrightable aspects of what seeds do has
long ago been turned into poetry. As to whether strings of DNA can be
patented or copyrighted and then licensed in "an open source format" - this
is probably not the correct list to ask.

There is a U.S. plant patent [1]. Such patents can then be licensed to the
public like any other invention. You might want to develop some form of
non-assert for "free" uses that makes sense for your seed specialty. Again,
I doubt this is the best list to ask. You could approach some of the organic
certification organizations, GMO advocacy groups, or even the USDA, to see
if they are working on this.

/Larry

[1] http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resources/types/plant_patents.jsp

Lawrence Rosen