[License-discuss] [Osi] [General enquiries] Submission by Mistake

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Oct 20 18:52:55 UTC 2014

> On 09/19/2014 03:40 AM, bibhudutta.pani at gmail.com wrote:

>> Hi, I may have subjected my code to Apache 2.0 license by mistake (i.e.
>> without intending to do so). I had earlier written a code that was
>> subject to
>> Apache license and I meant it to be so. Subsequently, I have developed a
>> separate license and while uploading it on a webstore, copied all
>> information
>> in the profile page of my earlier code (that included reference to Apache
>> license). While I have referred Apache 2.0 license,  have not included a
>> notice, in the exact form, as prescribed under "APPENDIX: How to apply
>> the
>> Apache License to your work".
>> Given the above, can I now retract all references to Apache 2.0
>> license or
>> will my work be compulsorily subject to Apache license?

You can retract all references in copies that you control, but if anyone
has taken advantage of the Apache license, they may still have a licence
under the old terms.  If that has happened, you need to consult a lawyer
as to whether the licence was actually valid, and possibly also as to
whether you could revoke it.  Revoking licences is frowned upon in the
open source community.