[License-discuss] You need to pay to access AGPL3 scripts?

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 21:24:26 UTC 2014

The downside of the GPL for networked programs is that someone can
receive the program, modify it to strip references to you out of the
output, improve it, and then host a competitor.  There is no legal
issue as long as they don't redistribute.

The AGPL is supposed to avoid this issue.  Because now they have to
acknowledge you, adn let you see their improvements.