[License-discuss] OSI and the SPDX license list

Philip Odence podence at blackducksoftware.com
Thu Jan 23 17:13:29 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I'm Phil Odence, chair of the Linux Foundation's SPDX project, and new to this group (at Patrick Masson's suggestion). There was some recent discussion on this list that suggests an opportunity for more collaboration between the SPDX group and OSI.

Probably many of you are aware of SPDX and previous collaboration between the two organizations. Mainly we worked together on the SPDX license list http://spdx.org/licenses/ syncing short name identifiers and making sure the SPDX list covered all OSI-approved licenses and provided an indication of OSI-approved licenses.

 Your recent discussion included a couple topics which the SPDX Legal Team is also working on:
Machine readable licenses- We are well underway with 'marking up' popular license text to indicate optional or variable parts (e.g. copyright holder in the BSD license)
Headers- We are in the midst of discussing how to handle headers vs. actual license text and the "or later" issue.

If OSI is working on the above issues and other related ones, I suggest a meeting between interested parties of both organizations to cross-polinate ideas, minimize redundancy and generally coordinate for mutual benefit. I would be happy to organize, if someone will suggest the appropriate OSI participants.

Thanks for your time,
Phil

L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Corporate and Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence
podence at blackducksoftware.com<mailto:podence at blackducksoftware.com>
http://www.blackducksoftware.com<http://www.blackducksoftware.com/>
http://twitter.com/podence