[License-discuss] FAQ entry (and potential website page?) on "why standard licenses"?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Apr 28 16:55:56 UTC 2014

John, once again you state the obvious to support an invalid argument:
> By the same token, the GPL is a standard open-source license and the
> Motosoto Open Source License is not, though both are equally OSI certified.

Do you expect anyone to argue that the GPL isn't the most widely used and popular open source license (although its author might quarrel with the phrase "open source" much as I do to the word "standard")? I'm also comfortable with the suggestion that the Motosoto license is an irrelevancy in the software industry. If your FAQ wants to say that, do so.

The GPL might also be "standard" in the way that Richard Fontana carefully used that term, but not as your phrase "standard license" implies. I affirm Richard Fontana's interpretation of my earlier note, that OSI often and incorrectly uses the word "standard" to mean "popular" -- and that's not good.

Popularity and wide use do not a good standard make! Shall I recount the document format wars as an example where the widespread popularity of one standard (fostered by a big company with influence) was successfully fought by a smaller upstart who purportedly did things better?

OSI's long-running attempt to reduce the number of open source licenses in widespread use doesn't turn OSI into a standards organization, merely advocates for easy answers to complex legal questions....

/Larry