[License-discuss] FAQ entry (and potential website page?) on "why standard licenses"?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Apr 28 16:02:10 UTC 2014

Miles and others,

Can you correlate what OSI does with what is described at http://opensource.org/osr-intro?

I should also point out that criteria for open standards have been argued about extensively in the standards community. They are by no means widely accepted. I'm not suggesting that open standards (whatever that term means) aren't essential, but that OSI has a long way to go before it will be respected as a standards organization like the ones you mentioned ("IEEE, ISOC (IETF), W3C, and so forth").

I'm not sure I'd use your term "show-stopper" to describe this. I suppose anyone can "voluntarily" hang out a shingle calling himself a standards organization. But this isn't a time for amateur definitions of "standards" that won't be respected among standards professionals. That doesn't help anyone.

What's worse, it doesn't help anyone choose an *appropriate* license for software.

/Larry