[License-discuss] Including License specifics

Parth Shah parthsha at live.com
Wed Apr 16 03:21:24 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

I am looking at downloading a library which is being distributed online under the MIT license. Because I will be using the component for a closed source project, I was wondering about the technicality of including license. I am more than happy to include in the Project About page, name of the library, a link to it, copyright notice and a link to MIT license. But do I have to include the details of MIT license with the description?

For example, I am more than happy to include the following in the About page:
ABC Library (http://abclibrary.com)
Copyright (c) ABC Library Author, 2010 under MIT License (http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT)

But I am not keen on including that same information in the following way:
ABC Library (http://abclibrary.com)
Copyright (c) ABC Library Author 2010 Under MIT License (http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT)
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

My reason behind not doing it the second way is I am being paid by my client to provide software + some warranty on it. If in the about page, they see the words "without warranty", they might feel that I am giving them their software under a different set of terms than the one we agreed upon. I don't want to confuse them. I understand if anything goes wrong, the authors of the library are not liable for it. I intend to fully test ABC library prior to shipping it with my software.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Sincerely,
Parth Shah