[License-discuss] System 76's BeanBooks Public License v1.0

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Sep 29 15:47:45 UTC 2013

Ken Arromdee scripsit:

> >        4.3 - Commercial distribution of the Software requires a
> >        trademark license agreement and you may be required to
> >        pay. Using the Software within a corporation or entity is not
> >        considered commercial distribution. This license does not grant
> >        You rights to use any party's name, logo, or trademarks, except
> >        solely as necessary to comply with Section 4.2.
>
> Wouldn't the "except solely as necessary to comply with section 4.2" clause
> make it okay?  Section 4.2 prevents you from removing the protected
> trademark, and section 4.3 allows you to use the trademark under those
> circumstances.

I don't think so, at least not if you interpret "this license" as meaning
the trademark license rather than the software license, which I do.
So the sole effect of the trademark license is to allow commercial
redistribution of the software, which makes it a proprietary software
license in disguise.

--
Time alone is real                      John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
  the rest imaginary