[License-discuss] OSI license issue: Artistic license

Jilayne Lovejoy lovejoylids at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 16:57:24 UTC 2013

(including thread below for reference)

Hi All,

Version 1.19 of the SPDX License List was released a couple weeks ago and includes the changes regarding the Artistic License as discussed below.  That is, there are now three variations of Artistic License v1.10 on the SPDX License LIst, as follows:

1) Artistic License 1.0				Artistic-1.0
2) Artistic License 1.0 w/clause 8	Artistic-1.0-cl8
- these two cover the two variations on the OSI website, with and without clause 8 at: http://opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-1.0

3) Artistic License 1.0 (Perl)		Artistic-1.0-Perl
- which matches the text found here: http://dev.perl.org/licenses/artistic.html

The OSI site on the main Artistic-1.0 page (http://opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-1.0) states at the top:
-------
With this clause present, it is called the Artistic License (Perl) 1.0 (abbreviated as Artistic-Perl-1.0. With or without this clause, the license is approved by OSI for certifying software as OSI Certified Open Source.

One such example is the Artistic License (Perl) 1.0.

-------
The OSI link to Artistic-Perl-1.0 (http://opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-Perl-1.0) does NOT match the text that is at the Perl link, hence the third variation.

To avoid confusion, might I recommend the OSI update the web pages to either remove the statement regarding "with this clause present, it is called the Artistic License (Perl) 1.0" and, possible also remove Artistic-Perl-1.0 page or update it so that it matches the actual Perl text or alter the page to be the OSI's variation of Artistic License 1.0 w/clause 8

Let me know if I can help at all with any of this.

Cheers,

Jilayne Lovejoy
SPDX Legal Team lead
lovejoylids at gmail.com