[License-discuss] <some FLOSS license> + commercial: Your thoughts?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Sep 24 17:15:35 UTC 2013

Alec Taylor scripsit:

> I am building a set of generalised libraries and frameworks.
>
> Would like to open-source it all; however in the cases where a client wants
> their custom stuff under a non open-source license; I should have
> provisions for such a case.

As long as it's all written by you or your employees, you can issue it
under any license you want.  In particular, you can grant an open-source
license to the public and a proprietary license to customers who prefer
one.  If your customers want *you* to engage to keep your custom work
for them secret, you'll need a lawyer to draw up such a contract for you.

> So what are my best options? - Currently looking at BSD/MIT and Apache;
> though have seen LGPL+commercial in many places…

Any of those will work.

--
Why are well-meaning Westerners so concerned that   John Cowan
the opening of a Colonel Sanders in Beijing means   cowan at ccil.org
the end of Chinese culture? [...]  We have had      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Chinese restaurants in America for over a century,
and it hasn't made us Chinese.  On the contrary,
we obliged the Chinese to invent chop suey.            --Marshall Sahlins