[License-discuss] we need a new license for earning money

Cinly Ooi cinly.ooi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 20:52:47 UTC 2013

Dear Pirmin

> we're in the business world: The millionaire companies feel better to pay
> for licences. It's not a disadvantage. They want to see, there is someone
> taking care of the software they're using who makes a living from this
> money. There are about 60 years of programming in IntarS (started at 1996)
> and it's easier to just say price than trying to explain how this
> development was financed. Because either there were non-paid just-for-fun
> programmers at work who may turn away at any time or the professional
> services have to pay the bills.
> Taking license fees just gives more credibility and trust.

A lot of us, if not all, are in the business world whetheer we like it or
not ;-)

If you think taking license fee give you more credibility and trust, then
go for it. I can see that how that point of view works.

If you find explaining open source to potential licensee difficult and
unrewarding, don't use open source.

If you want to use Open Source, play by the rules. It is no accident
"Freedom to redistribute" is place at number 1 in the open source
definition. I am sure your homework would had told you that this freedom is
extremely important to us.

Time and time again we get requests like this on this mailing list. That's
good, because just may be, one day someone will point out something we
haven't considered and is acceptable. Unfortunately what you had asked is
rather common and was already decided long ago that we are not going to
allow this  type of licensing term to be called open source.

> Then have you ever thought about the allowed means of making money from
> Open Source? Like selling copies? Strictly speaking, this is also a
> discrimination: Someone having a slow internet connection or little
> knowledge of how to build a product from the sources and having no friends
> that can help is forced to pay money. Same with professional services:
> companies not having the IT stuff to do it inhouse are discriminated! They
> have to hire Open Source contractors to help them.

How does this rant advance your position?

HTH
Cinly